Tuesday 6 September 2022

Between The Richness

Ok, so I will say right upfront that I am not a huge Fiddlehead fan. I liked the debut 7", but the first full length I thought was just ok. Nothing too special. I listened to it a few times back when it came out and then, as always happens, I moved on to something else. They then had a 7" come out what seemed like quite soon after that LP, which I ignored, and then they had a second LP come out at some point last year, which I also ignored. But recently the band played over here a couple of times, and there was lots of footage posted online and it reignited my interest in them slightly. And then someone I follow on instagram was selling a spare copy of the second LP for pretty cheap, so I figured I would grab it.

I'd seen a few copies of this record posted previously, and most are on what I consider to be ugly colours of vinyl. This one is known as 'White & Blue Galaxy Swirl', because all record colours seemingly need to have stupid names these days that include random words other than just colours. Aside from the stupid name, it's pretty much the only acceptable looking version of this record that I have seen.

I got this a couple of weeks back and I have played it quite a lot. I think that this is so much better than anything they have done before. It's slightly shorter than the last one too, coming in at 25 minutes, and is a great length for a full length. Not too long, not too short. I still don't really think they are as great as the hype suggests, but yes, I will freely admit that this is a really good record and worthy of a lot of attention. I still don't get why people stage dive to it though.

2 comments:

Ralf said...

I love everything Fiddlehead has done so far. They got better with every release imho. I hear you on the vinyl colours. I like the purple/(white) copy I have, but the blue galaxy variant you have is the best looking one and I’d like to get one as well at one point.

Ralf said...

Edit: If I remember correctly, Pat Flynn talked about the title in a podcast and explained that his dad was called Rich and his son is also called Rich. That’s where the name of the LP comes from. And since he deals with his emotions concerning his dad’s passing and his (relatively) new born son, it sort of fits.