Thursday 14 April 2022

Lagwagon

Given that I've been listening to and enjoying a lot of 90s pop punk this year, I was keen to check out the two Lagwagon LPs that my friend had in his collection. Both were original pressings from when they were released, and I figured they may be worth a bit, so I wanted to give them a chance before I decided whether to keep or sell them. Well, unsurprisingly, I decided to keep them. I used to think that all of the early Fat Wreck bands sounded the same back in the early 90s, and the sound they played was ok, but it wasn't my favourite. So I didn't feel the need to listen to a bunch of bands who all sounded the same. But these days it feels like this sound is less common and I've mellowed a bit, and of course the nostalgia factor creeps in a little, so I'm more inclined to given them a chance. Well, Lagwagon did not disappoint. I've found that these get better with each play. At first the songs all sound very samey, but in time you learnt to appreciate each song separately. It takes time, but it's worth it in the end.

The first record I obtained is a copy of the first LP, 'DUH', from 1992. ALl copies were on black vinyl... although, in line with most 'classic' records from that era, it has since been repressed on multiple different colours.

I also grabbed the second LP, 'Trashed', originally released in 1994. Same deal with this one, in that it was originally only pressed on black but then multiple colour vinyl pressings followed years later.

Of the two records, I am definitely more into 'Trashed'. And if it weren't for the state of modern collecting, I'd probably be interested in ipcking up more of their records. But with current prices that isn't likely to happen, sadly.

No comments: