Monday 18 April 2022

I'd Rather Be Flag Burning

Back in what feels like a former life I bought the first Progagandhi album, 'How To Clean Everything'. At the time I liked it, but for some reason I never bought another Propagandhi record after that one. Actually, that's not quite true. I bought the 'Where Quality Is Job #1' 7" and found it so awful that I sold it again not long after. That record just felt like they were trying to be everything that Fat Wreck was not, but I just found it messy and annoying. As I remember it, you couldn't even play the record without lifting and moving the arm of your record player after every single song. It managed to piss me off so much that I was done with Propagandhi and never listened to them again. I've had a few people tell me over the years that I should listen to them, but I just never really felt too interested in doing so.

Well, my friend's collection contained the split 10" with I-Spy that I remember missing out on back when it came out. The local record shop where I lived got some in, but by the time I decided to buy one it was sold out. So I never heard it until this year. I gave it a listen and decided that it would definitely not be out of place in my collection.

Discogs tells me that there are numerous different colours of cover for this record, and I honestly don't think that anyone really knows which were first or which are rarest. It kinda feels that they prbably made so many different versions just to fuck with people. But what I never appreciated before is that this record comes with two different covers, rather than just one that is different on each side. So you can literally choose which cover you prefer and use that one. My Propagandhi side is brown paper with brown ink.

The I-Spy cover is white with red ink.

I'd never heard of I-Spy before, but I actually prefer their side of the record. I checked out what else they released and it turns out they released another 10". If it was an LP I might try to track one down, but it's a 10" and I kinda feel that I already have way too many 10"s in my house already.

1 comment:

Ralf said...

I really like their next two LPs as well. After that they started to lose me.