Tuesday 19 April 2022

Porcelain Boys Marble

I've said it many times before, but it's crazy how bands can drift in and out of your life over time. Back in the early 90s I was picked up two 7"s by a band called Porcelain Boys. They appeared on one of my favourite compilations of all time (the Lookout! Records 'Can Of Pork' comp), and back then it seemed nigh on impossible to find records by most of the bands on that comp. So when I managed to pick up two Porcelain Boys 7"s, I was pretty stoked. There was only seven songs across those two 7"s, but I played them a lot and always wished there was a full length, as they played a pretty perfect blend of pop punk.

Well, after having not really thought much about them for many years, when I found a 7" in my friend's collection, I was intrigued. Turns out that it was released in 1996, when I had moved on from anything resembling pop punk. But I was surprised, as the band's previous 7"s were released in 1989 & 1990. I can only assume that the band reformed after a few years and cranked out some new songs. This 7" is a split with a band called Marble. Turns out that there were 300 copies on white vinyl and 300 copies on purple vinyl, and luckily I got the rare one.

The two Porcelain Boys songs on this 7" are as close to pop punk perfection as it is possible to get. So catchy. The Marble side, however, is pretty forgettable. There's one original song and then a cover of the song 'Holiday Road' from the National Lampoon's Vacation movies, which is a song that I feel I would be happy to never hear again by any artist.

A quick trip to discogs also showed me that the band did eventually put out a full length, which was released on CD only in 1997. I managed to find a download, and have been enjoying it in recent weeks. Kinda funny that I finally managed to hear a Porcelain Boys full length 25 years after it came out, and about 29 years after I was longing to hear one.

No comments: