Saturday 16 April 2022

Lucky Fifteen

My last post was for two Crimpshrine records, so it seems fitting that this next post is a Fifteen LP. Fifteen was a band formed by Jeff Ott after Crimpshrine. They had a couple of releases on Lookout! Records, then released records on several other labels throughout the 90s. I picked up a couple of their earlier LPs back when they came out, and then (like a lot of bands) I moved on to other things and kinda forgot all about them.

Finding their seventh album from 1999 in my friend's collection, I thought it would be a good chance to check them out again, and I found myself enjoying it. 'Lucky' was released as a double LP on Sub City Records.

I always thought that Fifteen was less well known than Crimpshrine for some reason, even though they were also on Lookout! Records and were a band for much longer. Musically I think Fifteen were better. Their songs generally had more melody and didn't sound like they were recorded on a portable cassette recorder in a bathroom in a squat. But somehow they weren't quite as highly regarded, despite being very similar in a lot of ways. I can only assume it's because they came after the golden age of the Gilman Street scene.

I also just realised that this record comes on a limited red and blue vinyl set, so that's one new record added to the collection and one new record added to the want list at the same time. Yay!

No comments: