Saturday 6 June 2020

What Could Have Been

A couple of months ago, Youngblood Records had a sale with 50% off of everything in the store. I bought something, but that will feature on here at some point in the future. But this was not the first time that Youngblood had run a 50% off sale. There was also one last year, and I bought two records which seemed like a good deal with half off.

Worn Thin was a DC band that existed circa 2000-2005. They released two 7"s and a full length before calling it quits. They were always one of my favourite Youngblood bands and I always felt that they were underrated compared to other bands of the time. Well anyway, I picked up a test press of their second 7", 'Remnants Of What Could Have Been'. It comes in a great Teen Idles rip off sleeve:

I got number 9/24. For some reason it seems that there are 24 copies of most Youngblood tests, and to this day I have no idea why. I'm curious as to whether the number contains any kind of significance.

I'd been putting off posting this one as I wanted to take a collection photo, but those things always take a bit of time, so I had put it off for a while. In the end it didn't actually take that long as I only had 4 other copies. So here it is:

In the photo is the test & the record release version on the top row, and the white vinyl tour press and regular red vinyl and clear vinyl copies on the second row. When I pulled these out, I realised I am missing the white vinyl non-tour press version, but since the only difference to the one I have is the lack of stamp on the paper inner sleeve, I figure I'll live without it. So this collection is now considered complete. Only took 17 years too.

4 comments:

Willem RWHAF said...

Just for a second I thought this was Nico's blog and that he scored a Teen Idles test press when going through the Wordpress Reader...

Isn't 24 the number of the Edge? As X is the 24th letter of the alphabet?

Anonymous said...

I believe he does 24 tests because X is the 24th letter of the alphabet, so it’s a nod to the straight edge.

Mike said...

Come on, man. The regular white vinyl pressing will probably cost you $2. Just do it.

Nice score on the test, and cool knowledge in the comments on why there are 24 tests.

mcs said...

Thanks dudes. The 24 thing I had never heard before, but it makes sense. I'm assuming that there are probably other 24 references I've missed over the years too. You learn something every day I guess.