Thursday 11 June 2020

Never Surrender

AN album titled 'Start Somewhere, Never Surrender' sneaked into my top 5 releases of the year back in 2013. It was released by a band called War Generation, which was a relatively short lived band that featured Jon Bunch on vocals, whose work I have been a big fan of for many years.

A few months ago, Rise Records (the label that released the record) sold some test pressings on eBay. I watched a couple of them, and was surprised that none of them seemed to attract too many bids. I watched a couple, and threw in some last minute bids, and I was even more surprised to win both records for only $21 each. Kind of a funny price considering both had a starting price of $20, because this must mean that someone else bid the opening price of $20 and just left it there. The way I see it, that's either really confident or really lazy bidding, I'm just not sure which.

As you can see, this is numbered 06/20 via stamps on the label. There's also a cover of sorts, which is just a piece of folded paper. Not overly exciting, but better than nothing.

As ever, I struggle to believe how much time has passed since this came out. Somehow it was nearly 7 years ago. If I had guessed, I would have said 5. Also, despite making my top 5 releases for 2013, I have barely played this since, but this test press was a good reminder to play this one again. Jon's vocal was always very distinct, so in a way it's easy to listen to this and think that you're listening to another Sensefield album.

1 comment:

Nico said...

This band is better than I remembered. Thanks to you post I looked it up again and gave it a few more spins.