Thursday 25 June 2020

On The Lam

I think that years ago I was a lot more open-minded with music. I used to buy stuff regularly from a certain group of record labels, and it opened me up to a lot of bands I would otherwise not have heard. The 90s was a time of variety and 'hardcore' was an incredibly wide range of sounds and styles. As time went on, the different sounds became their own scenes, and most labels seemed to narrow whatever they put out. But I kinda miss the days when you could buy records from labels you trusted and get something completely unexpected.

I first heard Cavity when I bought one of their 7"s from Rhetoric Records, a label which seemed to release either pop punk or doom/sludge type bands. Cavity were firmly in the latter camp. I mean, as a young straight edge enthusiast, I'm not sure exactly why I was drawn to Cavity. I guess the riffs. But I collected a few of their records over the years. This one was a very cheap test press of their 'final' LP, 'On The Lam', which was released by Hydrahead Records back in 2001.

The test press comes in a regular 'sleeve', which is basically a small red folded piece of card.

On the flip side, it says 'Test Pressing' and is numbered out of 25.

What I like about this one is that it is a test press of an LP that was only ever released as a picture disc. So it's the only form of limited pressing of this one. There were probably 1000 picture discs made, and as everyone knows, picture discs suck. I mean, which one would you rather own?

No comments: