Monday 16 December 2019

US Trip, December 2019, Part 3 - Test Press Pickup

Just before I was due to head out to the States, I managed to complete negotiation on a bunch of test pressings with the owner of a couple of old 90s labels (Conversion Records and Network Sound Records). I had heard that the owner of the labels, Dennis, was looking to sell some records, so I got in touch on the off chance that he may have some test pressings left over. Turns out he did, and a long negotiation process ensued, and in the end a deal was agreed just before my trip. So I thought it would be good to see if I could potentially get the records shipped across the country so that I could pick them up whilst on my vacation. Timing was quite tight, but good fortune was on my side and the records reached me in great shape, thanks to a little help from a couple of friends.

So here's a photo that shows exactly what I received... 10 test pressings from the 90s, all of which came in plain white paper sleeves.

But rather than wrap up this post in one photo, I thought I would make it a little more interesting by digging out the regular copies of the records from my collection so that I could take a pic of the test press next to the 'proper' sleeves. So, in alphabetical order...

1. Ashes 'Hiding Place' 12" on Network Sound. Pretty much THE best ever band to utilise the female vocals. I've always been a huge fan of this band and this record.

2. Battery 'Until The End' LP on Conversion. Quite possibly Battery's best record, I remember being confused and disappointed when this was released that there was no limited colour vinyl option. So having this test is the next best thing.

3. Die Hard 'Looking Out For #1' LP on Conversion. This was probably one of the first 50 LPs in my collection. I had already heard Integrity and somewhere, somehow I heard that this band sounded similar... which is probably unsurprising as this band contains half of the original Integ lineup.

4. Gameface 'Beach Chair' 7" on Network Sound. I've always loved Gameface and recently managed to acquire a few of their tests, so I was stoked to add another one to the collection. Never thought I'd find this one for sure.

5. Gameface 'Good' LP on Network Sound. Same comment as above. Although I do have to add that I made a post two months ago about the test press for the reissue of this record that I picked up, and I said in that post 'I figure I have pretty much zero chance of ever getting a test press of the original first pressing of this LP'. It's funny how things work out sometimes I guess.

6. Ignite 'Call On My Brothers' LP on Conversion. My god this got some play back in 1996. I practically lived this record for a few months back then. Definitely one of the best CA hardcore records ever in my opinion.

7. Man Will Surrender 'Instrument' 12" on Conversion. I originally picked this record up in a physical store in London when it came out. I had no idea what it was, but it came out at a time when I was just getting into this stuff, and I recognised the label name from a couple of other records I had, and I took a chance on it and never looked back. I don't think many other people did the same, as I have barely ever met or talked with anyone over the years who seems to be into this band. They played 'post hardcore' and featured one of the guitarists from Chain of Strength. I just might be their number one fan at this point.

8. Man Will Surrender 'Castrato' 7" on Conversion. Same comment as above. This 7" featured a song that ended up on their full length which, disappointingly, came out on CD only. I still live in hope that it may one day make it to vinyl, although it seems improbable as it would most likely only sell one copy.

9. March 'Turn' LP on Network Sound. This is probably the least known of all the records in this post. March was a band that featured Jeff from Gameface on vocals and Dennis from Outspoken (and owner of Conversion & Network Sound) on drums.

10. Outspoken 'Survival' 7" on Conversion. This one is on red vinyl and for YEARS I wasn't actually sure if this existed of not. I'd say that this is the jewel of the lot, although it's a tough call with so many great records in one batch. But damn, this is an amazing record and such a great item to own.

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot... I also picked up a grey vinyl Face Value 'Coming Of Age' 7". There were, I believe, only 100 of these and it is HARD to find. I picked one up about three years ago but sadly it was in a box that went missing in the post. So it's good to finally tick this one off the list.

Overall, not a bad bunch of records. A good end to the year.

No comments: