Saturday 14 December 2019

US Trip, December 2019, Part 1 - Newbury Comics

A couple of weeks ago I found myself in Boston again. We were there for a day and a half before flying on to Miami for some winter sun. Boston was so damn cold it was crazy, but we made the best of it and spent most of the time walking around and seeing stuff that we hadn't seen last year.

One thing I saw this year that I had missed previously was two different Newbury Comics shops. Last year it had been disappointing, but after having not been in a record shop for months I was still keen to go in and flip through the bins to see if I could find anything interesting.

This first record I almost didn't buy because I wasn't sure I really needed a second, reissue copy. But I checked on discogs and it was selling for twice the retail price. So I figured it was actually sensible to buy it. Jawbox 'For Your Own Special Sweetheart' LP on a Newbury Comics exclusive silver vinyl. 300 copies of this one exist.

The second record was already on my want list. The second full length from The Path Of Resistance, 'Can't Stop The Truth'. This one came out in 2006, about ten years after their first full length, and was originally released on CD only. This year Victory pressed it onto vinyl for the first time.

This version is a Newbury Comics exclusive colour of 'Purple, White, and Black Starburst Vinyl'. There are only 100 of these, and I think the colour looks great.

As is often the case, when expectations are low they are easily exceeded, and I found Newbury Comics to be a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. A few things that caught my eye, and at one point I had 5 or 6 LPs in my hand but somehow I managed to exercise some self-control and put them all back save for these two. On previous trips to the States I have got myself carried away and bought way more than I should have, which gave me a transportation issue, so I was keen to keep the baggage amount low on this trip.

No comments: