Monday 14 October 2019

More Gameface

So it's funny how things work sometimes. You don't pick up any records by a certain band for years, then a few come along at once. After picking up two Gameface LP test pressings, another couple of records nice Gameface records ended up coming my way.

First up is a test press of the band's debut LP 'Good' which originally came out on Network Sound records in 1993. Sadly I didn't manage to score an original test press, but instead this is a test of the reissue put out by a label called Smartpunk in 2015. They pressed it on color vinyl for the first time, but I was trying to avoid repressings so didn't pick one up. I wasn't even overly fussed about this test press, until I saw the cover that is, and then I really wanted it.

Pretty cool huh?

This next photo shows the test cover next to the original, regular cover.

I figure I have pretty much zero chance of ever getting a test press of the original first pressing of this LP, so this reissue is an acceptable substitute.

The next record is a much more recent release. The 'IOU1' 7" was put out this year by Revelation for Record Store Day. There were 545 copies made on yellow vinyl, and approximately none of them came to the UK. However, 40 copies made their way to Japan, and were sold with a special sleeve. They were then sold in one store in Japan, so pretty much impossible to get for anyone in the UK. So I was pretty stoked to get one.

In the photos of this that were floating around on instagram it looked like this 7" came with an obi-strip. Howeever, after receiving this in real life it turns out that the obi-strip isn't really an obi-strip at all. It's more just a flap:

See what I mean?

The 'flap' is attached to a back cover which is basically a complete replica of the normal back cover, except for the fact that this one has a white space in the bottom right corner.

The white space looks like it is designed for a number to be written, but it's completely blank. So now I'm wondering whether any of them were numbered, or none. I haven't actually seen a photo of one anywhere so I don't know. If anyone knows please let me know.

3 comments:

Mike said...

"I have pretty much zero chance of ever getting a test press of the original first pressing of this LP"

Next week you'll be posting a test of the original first pressing.

Miles said...

Hey Marcus, do you know about these U.K. pressings of a new (old) Gameface Record:
http://unlessyoutryrecords.limitedrun.com/news/posts/11667-new-gameface-vinyl-the-original-demo-of-the-bands-breakthrough-lp-plus-a-blistering-live-session-all-on-a-very-limited-wax-pressing

mcs said...

Hey Miles, thanks for the tip. Didn't know about these.