Saturday 21 December 2019

US Trip, December 2019, Part 4 - 27

Back in 2007 when I was trying my best to start a record label, I managed to get the band 27 to let me put their latest full length onto vinyl. There was no other plan to press it, and I wanted a vinyl copy enough to get it made myself. So I put the album out, and I was reasonably happy with how it went. Despite never actually breaking up, the band haven't been too active over the last 12 years, and I pretty much lost touch with them over the years, to the point that the last time I went to Boston in 2018 I had completely forgotten that they were based there else I would have made an attempt to drop by and catch up.

Anyway, on the last day in Miami, and the day before we were due to fly back to Boston, 27 posted on instagram that they had a few records left for sale. I checked out what they had and there was a couple of 7"s that I was missing. So I shot them a message and asked if I could pick them up the next day in Boston. They said it was ok, and we agreed that I would drop by the shop that they run in Cambridge.

Well, I missed our meeting time due to accidentally leaving my bag on a bus at the airport, so by the time we got to the shop there was a little under an hour left, which is not a lot of time to catch up on 12 years. But still, we had a good chat, got shown around the business, saw the space where the band practice and record, and I picked up a couple of records. All in all it was great to catch up with Ayal and I was sad that time ran out and we had to leave.

So I picked up two 7"s. The first is a 3 way split 7" featuring 27, a grindcore band called Total Fucking Destruction, and a band called Gardenbox from Greece. I'm not sure how this record came to be as the musical styles are very varied, but I was mainly in it for the 27 song. The packaging on this thing is pretty sick.

In total there are 333 copies of this record, all on white vinyl. But the first copy I got has blue labels, of which there are very few copies. I'm not sure of the exact number, but around 10 or 12 I think.

The majority of the copies have silver labels to match the sleeve, and I got one of those too.

The second (or rather third) 7" I picked up is a 2 song affair that was released in early 2018. I actually picked up 3 copies at the time, but due to logistics I still don't have them in my possession yet. Hopefully I'll get them in 2020!

This 7" is the first record that features the newest, 4th member of the band, Adam McGrath (of Cave In fame). There are a few different versions of this 7", and this copy is one of the 60 Frosted Clear w/ Dark Blue Splatter.

This was the end of the haul from my latest US trip. Now I need to finish up a couple of other posts before the year ends...

No comments: