Saturday 12 October 2024

Misshapen World

A couple of years ago I bought a record by a band called Sinking, which I found out about from a promotional postcard that I received inside a parcel of records. At the end of that post I wrote this:

It also now turns out that they have just released another 12" EP for which there are less than 200 copies total, with 25 copies coming in a nice Rival Schools rip off cover that are long gone. Damnit. I get a record I am stoked on and then it leads to getting bummed out that I missed another.

Well, two years later and I got lucky, and got a copy of the second record with the limited cover. The record is called 'Misshapen World' and came out in 2022 on Patient Zero Records. It's a 5 song 12" EP (with three live songs on the flipside) that clocks in at around 16 minutes, and continues in the same vein as their first record with a hint of Mineral & Sunny Day Real Estate style mid 90s emo.

As is often the case, the limited cover is a folded sheet stuck over the top of the regular sleeve.

It's kinda cool to see a Rival Schools rip off sleeve, rather than some older 'classic' record... although that said, 'Unified By Fate' is now itself 23 years old, so I guess by definition it probably is fair to consider it a classic by now.

I don't listen to too much stuff that sounds like this these days, but this is really good. After a quick look it seems that both records are still available from the band's bandcamp page, which I am surprised about. But could be good for you if this sounds like your cup of tea.

No comments: