Wednesday 16 October 2024

Live Through This

Almost exactly a year ago I posted about a Hole 7" that I picked up. This was the beginnings of my Sub Pop obsession which has dominated my record buying this year. I really enjoyed the two songs on that 7", and kinda figured that I'd end up buiyng at least one more copy, as there are about ten colours to collect. So here we are and here is another one.

And after liking these songs, I downloaded a couple of their albums, which I have also really enjoyed this year. But I was surprised at how much the albums cost these days. I had always considered that Hole were a second rate band, only really popular because of the obvious link to Nirvana. But I think that these days, in a world where any form of nostalgia is bought and sold at a premium, it seems that Hole records cost quite a lot of money. Well, the colour vinyl copies do. But then I noticed there is a recent repress of the second LP on a nice looking colour vinyl that is for sale at new release price, so I figured that would do. For now at least.

'Live Through This' came out in 1994 and is probably the band's most well known record. Back then I was getting stoked on Chain Of Strength, Outspoken and Judge and feeling that everything else I had previously been into was weak and mainstream. So I would not have cared one bit for this record back then. So it's kinda crazy to think I am listening to this for the first time thirty years after it came out and that I now seem to be into Hole. But there's no denying that this is a really good record. It's definitely a little less aggro than the first album, and has a bit more melody. I'd say this is an 'alternative rock' record, whereas the earlier material is angrier and more 'punk'. But this one is without doubt a more mature and variend record, and one that is far easier to sing along to.

No comments: