Saturday 5 October 2024

Anthropocosmic Nest

A few months ago Nico told me that he had just ordered a new record by The Messthetics. He seemed quite excited about it. I only had one question - who the hell are The Messthetics?

Somewhere I missed the memo, but it turns out that The Messthetics is a band that features two members of Fugazi (Brendan Canty & Joe Lally) plus some other dude. That information was enough for me to check them out, and within about 5 seconds I was super into it. I made a mental note to pick up a record at some point.

Anthropocosmic Nest is the band's second album, from 2019. Clear vinyl is a second pressing, which I am ok with as the first press was black vinyl only.

So without wanting to ruin the surprise if you have never heard this band, there are no vocals. This is kind of like a funky Iceburn update. The record starts out so strong and fast, but then slows as it goes on. The second half is definitely very chilled and quite heavily jazz influenced. Once you get the first couple of high energy songs out of the way, it's perfect background music for when you need to concentrate on something. I see that the first album has also been repressed on clear vinyl so I hope to pick that one up too at some point.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I saw them open for Clutch a few years ago, but I've never been overly interested in instrumental only bands and after a couple of songs I kind of lost interest. I might check this one out as background music for when I'm reading or something and see how it sits with me now.