Saturday 17 February 2024

The Two

Back in 1997 Revelation released a 12" by a band called Bluebird. When it came out I had no clue who they were, and unlike most Rev bands of the time, it felt that there was no real promotion or information about them either. The record came out and I think that it's fair to say that it was pretty much ignored, and quickly forgotten about. To this day their 12" remains one of the weirdest choices for a Rev release, and even at the time when the label was clearly branching out into different sounds, it made little sense to anyone. I always thought that the record was ok, although I struggled with the opening song which meanders along for over ten minutes. But if you just push past the first song, the other 5 are actually pretty good, and reminiscent of the kind of stuff that Dischord was putting out at the time.

Well, some 25 years or so after Rev released that weird 12", I became aware that the band released other stuff (who knew?) and I decided to check it out one day when I was feeling particularly bored and adventurous. I started out with their first full length, 'The Two', and instantly thought it was a good listen. It then worked its way onto my daily playlist, and was a perfect record to listen to whilst working. So i decided to buy a vinyl copy.

This record was released in the year 2000 by Dim Mak Records (a label owned by superstar DJ Steve Aoki before he was a famous cake thrower), and I have no idea how many copies were made on green vinyl, but it's the only colour that exists (other than black which we all know doesn't count).

Kinda funny how long it has taken me to get around to giving this band a chance, but it's nice to get into a band whose records I can pick up for next to nothing. There will be more no doubt...

No comments: