Saturday 3 February 2024

Bloodmoon

Here's another record that I bought from Newbury Comics because it was on sale at a great price, and because I seemingly can't resist records that are in my hands.

I haven't bought a Converge record for a long time. It's not quite the same band that I started listening to in 1996, and I lost interest in them years ago. But I had read with interest how their latest record, 'Bloodmoon I', featured Steve Brodsky. Plus it also looked kinda impressive on an aesthetic level. So when it was in my hands for $17, I figured it was worth a chance.

The Newbury Comics exclusive pressing comes on a pretty horrible looking swirly mess colour of black, red and light blue vinyl.

So this record turned out to be a lot more interesting than I was expecting. First up, this is not strictly a Converge record. Instead, this is a collaboration between Converge and Chelsea Wolfe, but it also features Steve Brodsky, and his part is a lot more significant than I had initially thought, to the point where this pretty much just sounds like a Cave In record. Musically its a lot less fast and chaotic as Converge usually sound, but sounds like some of the mellower Cave In moments. I've listened to this pretty much every day through January, as it is a prefect record to pop on in the background when I'm working.

Overall a great record that I would not have bothered with if it wasn't cheap. Just a shame the record itself looks so damn ugly.

No comments: