Wednesday 7 February 2024

Failed States

This is the third and final pick up from the Newburu Comics exclusives section, where I bought three records that were on sale for great prices.

This final record is the 6th album by Propagandhi, 'Failed States', which was first released in 2012. This was in some ways a straneg buy for me, because my relationship with Propagandhi is in itself a bit weird. I bought their first album, 'How To Clean Everything' back when it first came out in 1993. I quite liked it at the time, but for whatever reason I never listened to anything else... so when I saw this record on pink vinyl for $15 or so, I figured it was a good opportunity to check them out again for the first time in 30 years.

My first observation was that the front and back covers are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The front cover looks like an interesting piece of art, whereas the back cover is one of the worst that I have ever seen. It looks more like something that would be on the front cover of the latest Triple B release.

When you've been out of touch with a band for years it is not easy to figure out which are their best or most popular records, but I get a feeling that this one is not regarded as one of Proagandhi's best. But I have found it an interesting listen. This definitely sounds like a hardcore record and band, and not the political pop punk band that they sounded like in 1993. Definitely an interesting record and makes me want to listen to more of their output... although I feel I should probably check them out in chronological order from this point.

No comments: