Thursday 1 February 2024

Abandon All Life

So I ended up having an extra day in the States last month because my flight got cancelled the day before we were due to fly home. This meant that we had an extra day in Boston. So we wandered around for a couple of hours, and at some point ended up in Newbury Comics. One of the things that is great about most US stores is the used section, but Newbury Comics doesn't have one of those. It only sells new records. But one thing that is interesting is that they get a lot of exclusives, where labels press colours just for Newbury Comics... so many, in fact, that there was a whole section of the shop just for Newbury Comics exclusives. I decided to have a quick flick thruogh, which probably took me fifteen minutes as there were literally hundreds of records, and I found three records that were so cheap I was pretty much forced to take them home.

Nails is a band that I don't think about too often, but when something jogs my memory and I listen to them I am flawed. The band is (was?) so incredibly relentless and savage that it still blows my mind. So seeing this grey vinyl copy of their second LP, 'Abandon All Life', for $12 was something that I couldn't turn down.

Shockingly, this record came out over ten years ago, in 2013. I downloaded it when it came out but didn't actually end up buying a vinyl copy as the only option was black vinyl. Then a couple of years ago it got repressed on a few different colours. I'm less fussed about which colour I have given all colour copies are represses, so this is absolutely fine and a great bargain buy.

So it seems that Nails broke up back in 2020 (which I had no idea about until today), but then there was an instgram post a few weeks ago announcing a new album will be coming out in 2024. So that's something to look forward to this year then. Can't wait. Bring it on.

No comments: