Wednesday 10 January 2024

War Hungry Bad Seed

ANother record I was given by Joey from 6131 Records, and this one was a surprise and totally caught me off guard.

Released in 2009, this is a split 7" between War Hungry and Bad Seed. This copy appears to be the most common version, out of 600 copies.

War Hungry I had previously heard. I picked up their album a long time ago, and I loved it from the word go. Back when this came out it would have been amazing, but hearing it all these eyars later and being very familiar with the LP, the War Hungry side is a slight letdown as it contains 2 songs from the album. Ah well.

The flipside of this is one song by Bad Seed, and it blew my mind. About 5 seconds in I was like 'Whoa! WHo the hell is this band?' and typing their name into discogs.

Turns out that Bad Seed were from Wilkes Berre, PA and existed from 2008-2010. In that time they put out a demo (which ended up being put out as a 7" by european label Control Records), a four song 7" on 6131, and this split 7". And that's it. They had 3 dudes in who were also in Title Fight, and someone else who was in Stick Together and Gypsy. To me this sounds like the hardcore Cold World stuff (i.e. without any of the hiphop influence) and I am desperate to hear more. How the hell did I miss out on this band for so many years? And why are their records seeminly relatively expensive to buy? I ghuess they few people who know about / remember this band realise how good they are. And even though I am late as fuck to the party here, I'm stoked to have heard this band now.

1 comment:

Willem Termote said...

yes, I used to aim for a collection of these two bands. Isn't the Bad Seed self-titled on the same label? War Hungry also has a seveninch on 1917 Records... great and underestimated decade!