Monday 15 January 2024

Renee Heartfelt

Another post in my series of 6131 releases that I was given by Joey who runs the label, and now we're onto the LPs...

Seemingly out of nowhere, in 2020 the label put out the Renee Heartfelt discography. For anyone unfamiliar with the band, they were active around 2004/5, came from Virginia and contained three former members of Count Me Out, but they were absolutely not a hardcore band. They played music that was in the ballpark of bands like Texas Is The Reason and Elliott. I remember picking up their 7" not too long after it came out and loving it instantly. I also ended up with a shirt from a friend, although I'm not entirely sure where it is right now. I must go looking and try to dig it out.

Anyway, Renee Heartfelt is one of those bands that seemed to go largely unknown for years. The 6131 website talks about how they were around at the wrong time, and struggled to find the right scene to play to / in, and how hardcore kids at that time weren't really into this sound. Having lived through that era, I can absolutely see that this would have been the case. But like a lot of other bands that didn't get their dues when they were around, time has been kind to this band, with more people picking up on them over the years, to the point where there was some excitement about this discography being released.

This version I was given is the rarest version of the record. There were 100 copies on this 'blue in clear' vinyl, which I think were initially only available at the 6131 Records store in Richmond, VA.

This discography contains their only album, 'Death Of The Ghost' (which came out on CD only back in 2005), the 'Magdalene' EP from 2004 (which was a 5 song CD and 3 song 7") as well as a couple of extra songs and a cover of a World's Fastest Car song. And whilst I try to actively avoid discography releases these days and sold most of the ones I had a couple of years back, I will definitely keep this one as the majority of the songs on here were never previously available on vinyl.

No comments: