Wednesday 8 June 2022

Apology

Sometimes I read things and they just stick with me for years, but this one kinda surprised me with exactly how many years ago it was now. Turns out that it was back in August 2009 that Doug wrote a post about a Wishingwell Records release that, at the time, I had never heard of. And here I am, almost thirteen years later, picking one up for myself. I picked it up in the States on my last trip and when I got it my first thought was 'finally!'.

Wishingwell Records is probably most widely known for putting out records by Uniform Choice, Youth Of Today, Insted, Bl'ast And Unity. But it also released a few other records that have never really been anywhere near as iconic or wel known. The 'Pass You By' 12" by Apology is definiteky one of those records. But all things considered, it's not a bad record at all. Plus it features one of my favourite things on a record - a lot of dead wax.

As Doug pointed out in his post, this kinda sounds in the same ballpark as the second Uniform Choice LP, or the Unity LP, and the photos on the back of this record kinda give hints that that's what you are going to get. I mean, check out the flowing locks on the blond dude. But I like the sound here. It's melodic hardcore (which probably isn't really hardcore at all really), and it has a very 80s sound. I find myself partly enjoying this out of some kind of nostalgia. I just like this kind of sound I guess. It reminds me of growing up and watching skateboard videos and liking completely unknown bands and not knowing who any of them were. But yeah, I would guess that I am in the minority here by liking this one, which isn't surprising since I have a habit of liking the records that are generally considered to be garbage,

No comments: