Tuesday 26 October 2021

Consolation Prize Test

The great thing about hardcore is how many bands come and go and leave like one great record. We all have those records that we love and that they know most other people either haven't heard, have forgotten about, or just aren't interested in, and we all spend time now and again trying to persuade other people to give these records a chance. Pretty much every record that exists seems to be someone's favourite for one reason or another, so I just find it fascinating that something can be loved by one person and flicked past in a $2 used bin by someone else.

I picked up a 7" on Lockin' Out about three years ago by a band called Consolation Prize. I know nothing about the band whatsoever. I mainly just bought it because it was on colour vinyl on Lockin' Out Records, but it turned out to be a great find. The band sounds so much like Supertouch from 'The Earth Is Flat' that it's impossible for me to think anything other than this was completely intentional, but that's fine by me. This could easily pass as an unreleased Supertouch record, or songs that were cut from the LP due to length restrictions.

Anyway, I managed to grab a test press for this record, because you know how it is - I gotta keep my Supertouch collection complete.

A colour vinyl test press is always a nice thing to find. It's just a shame that there isn't a sleeve for it to sit in. I think United started issuing tests on colour for records that were going to be pressed on colour. I assume it was a way of testing not only that the record sounded correct, but also that the colour was what the customer wanted too.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I wasn't aware of this record at the time, but now I obviously need one.