Monday 14 December 2020

This Ship

I've picked up a few Dischord releases in recent months, a mix of represses and new releases. The latest is a new Soulside 7" that came out this year titled 'This Ship'. Sadly it only comes on black vinyl, but I still wanted one. Mainly just because it was something to buy and cheer myself up on one of the days of this shitstorm of a year.

This 7" features 2 new songs, and when you download this record you get a third song too. I can only assume that the 3 songs wouldn't fit on a 7", although it seems like a strange decision to make one only available digitally. I mean, why bother making records at all?

The 3 songs were recorded during the European tour, and I actually saw the band play these songs at one of the last shows I went to back in October 2019. Referring back to the obligatory instagram post I made the day after that show, I said They played 3 new songs which were all pretty good too, so will be interesting to see if those get released at some point. I guess they did. Or two of them did at least.

I have to say that I have played these songs quite a lot. A couple of these songs remind me of a more indie rock band, maybe slightly reminding me of Interpol. It definitely sounds a little different to other Soulside songs, but that's hardly surprisng as these are the first songs that they have recorded since 1989. It blows my mind to think that a band can get back together and record music after 30 years, but it's kinda cool that they did I think. Better than just reforming and cranking out old tunes for a few quid.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Wow. Only on black vinyl, so I'm kind of surprised to see this here. Glad that you dig it.