Saturday 12 December 2020

Four On The Floor

Now here's one that I never thought I would see - a repress of the 4th Dag Nasty LP, 'Four On The Floor'. This record always felt like one of those 'forgotten' records. You know the kind, where a record comes out and then a few years later everyone kinda agrees that it was a bad decision, and nobody ever talks of it again.

This LP was originally released in 1992. At this point, Dag Nasty had broken up and members had moved on to other things. The band's original vocalist, Dave Smalley, had a new band (Down By Law) which was doing pretty well. I'm not sure of the details, but this record came about as the original band members were all in LA in Summer 1991 and they got together and wrote this album, which then got put out by Epitaph.

I originally picked up a copy of this record many years ago. At the time I was really into Down By Law, and it seemed that this record was neither as good as that band now Dave Smalley era Dag Nasty. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs here, but it just felt it wasn't a proper Dag Nasty record. To be honest, I never really knew what the rest of the world thought about it, as at the point I got into it, it was already an 'old' record. I guess everyone always talks about either 'Can I Say' or 'Wig Out At Denkos', and now and again someone might bring up 'Field Day'. But nobody ever mentions this one.

This is a recent repress put out by Epitaph Europe that just seemed to appear out of nowhere. I believe that as I type this, it is only available in Europe and not in the States, which in itself seems a little weird. I'm not sure why it was decided to repress this now, and why only in Europe, but I actually think it's kinda cool. It's good to see that the label do actually acknowledge that this exists, and I'm always down to add more to the Dag Nasty collection.

4 comments:

Mike said...

My second favorite Dag album.

mcs said...

Knowing you, I would imagine this is your second favourite after 'Field Day', right?

Nico said...

This is definitely better than Field Day imho. I really want Insted - What We Believe on blue vinyl.

Mike said...

Field Day? Never heard it.