Saturday 26 December 2020

Heavy Discipline

Another 2020 release that I blasted quite a bit in recent months is the debut self titled LP by Heavy Discipline. This was released by Painkiller Records, and I picked it up at the same time that I picked up the Rated X LP. It was definitely a case of the 'is there anything else in the store that I could pick up now I'm here?' approach that I usually take, as I have always felt that it seems inefficient to buy one record at a time. I'd never heard of this band before, but I gave it a quick listen before I bought it for about one minute, and decided that it was worth spending a few dollars to check out.

This is typical of the sound that I associate with Painkiller releases. The band come may come from Pittsburgh, but they sound like they could have arrived into 2020 via a time machine that they secretly created in Boston in 1983. This actually reminds me most of the first Boston Strangler LP. You remember, the one that was everyone's favourite record of 2012, that they followed up with a record that nobody really cared about. Well, if anything, I would say that this sounds like what the second Boston Strangler LP should have sounded like. Definitely one of the hardest records I heard this year, although disappointing that it doesn't quite seem to have gotten the attention it deserves.

No comments: