Tuesday 29 December 2020

Every Scar Has A Story

I can't imagine many people have listened to this one, as I'm not sure who would be interested in this, although my guess would be 'not many'. I'm not sure if this is technically a debut release or not by this band. The band is called Every Scar Has A Story, and it's the latest offering from hardore veteran Rob Fish plus some other dude I haven't heard of. I've been a fan of pretty much everything that Rob FIsh has done over the years, although I will admit that I never even heard his last band that put out a 7" about ten years ago. That band was called Eshas, but it occured to me that 'Eshas' was probably just an acronym for 'Every Scar Has A Story'. But aside from Rob Fish, there is no consistency between the two bands, and at no point was the old band mentioned in any of the recent press material, so I remain unsure as to whether it is technically a different band or the same band. Regardless, I decided to check this out via the concept of a download, and found myself going back to it again and again. I actually think that anyone who has zero interest in Rob's previous bands could enjoy this, as to me it sounds nothing like anything he has done in the past. Musically (but not vocally) this sounds like something that could have come out on Dischord, and whilst I know that's probably not the most helpful description, but I can't explain it any better.

Anyway, this was put out by Equal Vision this year, and they were only selling a blue vinyl pressing in their store. But I saw a white vinyl copy on instagram that Rob himself posted. I asked what it was and was told that it was some tour pressing... not that anyone has been able to tour this year. I then agreed to buy one from Rob directly, and he also gave me a blue one for a pretty good price too, making it impossible to say no.

This record is only 3 songs, and probably clocks in at around 10 minutes in length. It probably could have been a 7", but obviously someone out there must like the 10 inch format. Or perhaps 7"s don't sell as well anymore? The songs fit onto one side, and the flipside features some arty screen print. I think this works better on the white vinyl, as in my opinion screen printed b-sides work better when they are confined to one side rather than when they show through on clear colours, as you can see here:

So yeah, kinda funny that I ended up buying two copies of this one, especially with it being on EVR and being a 10". It's just a shame that it's only 3 songs as 5 or 6 would have worked better with this format. And as I said earlier, I can't imagine too many people being interested in this one, but it's definitely been one of the sleeper hits of the year for me. Not one I was excited about, but one I have played a lot. Will be interesting to see if they put anything else out in the future.

No comments: