Monday 7 September 2020

Confusion Hill

A couple of years ago I got into an old band called Nuisance. I have a song or two on some old compilations, and one day I listened to one of those comps and then decided to check out more songs by some of the bands whose songs I was into. I found the debut full length by Nuisance on youtube and left it playing whilst I worked. A few songs in and I genuinely thought that the LP had finished and youtube had moved on to some obscure Nirvana song. But no, it was Nuisance. So I started paying a bit more attention, and I was into it. The songs are very reminiscent of that early Seattle sound. I imagine the band spending their time in a dirty basement wearing checked shirts and smoking Marlboro whilst trying to figure out where they can buy a van for $100 so that they can go on tour.

Anyway, two years later (and 29 years after it was first released) I finally found a copy of the debut LP in the UK for a good price.

'Confusion Hill' was released by Lookout! Records in 1991. It exists on black vinyl only. I like the early Lookout! release aesthetic. I love how big elements of the layout are hand written. It gives the records a more DIY feel and overall just harks back to simpler times.

There's a pic of the press release that accompanied this LP on discogs, and this what it says:

Humboldt County, California pot-punk. Here you have the smoked-out, guitar-drenched voice of the Emerald Triangle. Has a Dinosaur Jr. feel with a splash of the Northern California and Seattle influence.

I've been exploring a few early Lookout! bands recently. Some of the bands I wasn't into back in the day, partly because I was so into straight edge back then that I didn't check out stuff that I would have liked a couple of years before. But looking back there was some great stuff that Lookout! put out, and I'm hoping to pick up a few more of their releases in time.

No comments: