Wednesday 20 May 2020

Positive Outlook

Last year I finally picked up an orange vinyl Youth of Today 'Can't Close My Eyes E.P.', and mentioned 'now that I have this, I have even more of a yearning to go after a first press and Some Records versions, although I can't see that these will ever really be a priority'. I said that those would never be a priority because I hate paying big money for a 'standard' black vinyl record, especially when there are hundreds of pieces of colour vinyl I am still trying to get which always seem more appealing. But a few weeks ago the planets fell into alignment, so to speak. A friend had a 1st press copy to sell, and I had a really healthy bank balance right before pay day, so I figured I could buy this (as well as another big want that I hope to receive at some point this year) and still manage to hit my monthly savings target. So I pulled the trigger.

It's crazy to think how much time it has taken me to get one of these. I first bought a copy of this 7" back in 1994 in what I found out a few years later was a really shady deal. I won't talk about that here, (although if anyone is interested then email or DM me and I'll happily share the story), but I think I paid £3 for that record on that day, so I wasn't too fussed that it was 'only' a second press. I mean, that price was steal even in 1994. So in my mind I had got lucky and I didn't particularly feel that I needed to pay a lot more for another copy with different colour ink on the front cover. But as time went on, that second press just felt inadequate, especially after Rev reissued the record as a 12", complete with red ink on front cover.

I'm not really looking to add more copies of this one to the collection after this, but if I ever get a chance for a Some Records press for a good price then I probably won't say no.

No comments: