Thursday 21 May 2020

Mental Crew

When I picked up the Youth Of Today 7" (in the last post), it then turned out that the seller had a few other bits for sale. So I made a list of things I was interested in and we made a deal. I mainly ended up buying a whole load of Mental records. I have what I can only describe as a halfway Mental collection, with a couple of versions of most of their records, but none of the uber rare versions. They're a band whose records I always wanted to pick up more versions of, especially as the prices haven't really moved much in the last 10 years, so this just felt like the right time to make a move...

The 'Get An Oxygen Tank' 7" came out on Bridge Nine back in 2003. I remember at the time wondering what the hell the title of the record was all about, and to this day I still have no idea. I also remember thinking the same about the front cover. This was a point in time when I had been slightly disconnected from hardcore for a couple of years, and Mental made me feel that I was completely out of touch with where it was going.

I actually used to own this yellow 7", which I got from the label when it came out. Back then there weren't too many records that I wanted multiple versions of, and so because I had the rarer clear purple version, I ended up trading the yellow one to someone else (for something I can't remember). So it's kinda funny that I ended up buying it back again sixteen or seventeen years later.

I also picked up 3 different versions of the 'Yo!' 7". Discogs tells me that there were 600 each for the pink and red vinyl, and 500 of the green.

I already had one other copy of this 7", so I still have about 3 to go it seems.

And I also grabbed this yellow vinyl copy of the 'Sweet Vision' 7" comp. This is actually a really underrated comp and features some great tunes by some of the best bands of that 2003/4 time period.

This record also made me start looking at other compilation 7"s and think about what I was missing or needed to upgrade. A couple of posts on that subject to follow...

1 comment:

Mike said...

Very cool! I've been wanting to expand my Mental collection for a while now, but haven't taken the leap yet.