Monday 27 April 2020

Infrared Riding Hood

A couple of years ago I got obsessed by trying to re-collect Tad records. I used to have a bunch of them in the early 90s, but for some reason I sold them when I got into straight edge hardcore. But many years later I decided that I wanted them back, and I got a good start from a UK seller who had a whole bunch of 7"s, including some cool test presses. But I then decided that i wanted to go a step further and pick up the major label LPs that came out after I gave up on the band. There were two of them, and I managed to get one almost exactly two years ago. The other one, I have just picked up, and I am happy to end this chase, because it took longer than I had expected.

This is the final studio album by Tad, and it was released way back in 1995 on EastWest Records. At the time EastWest had a couple of other decent bands on their books - Sick Of It All, Clutch and Orange 9mm. Interestingly, all of those bands had albums that were pressed on vinyl at the time, but this was at a time when major labels had really started cutting down on vinyl, so a couple of them only had vinyl editions pressed for the european market. Which means that they became quite sought after and expensive. And all of them got reissued by the 'Music On Vinyl' label in the last few years.

I had wanted to wait for an original pressing of this, but it took a long time because every copy coming up for sale on either discogs or eBay seemed to be at a fixed price, which was stupidly high. Or they were in some sketchy country that I didn't want to buy from. But finally the right copy came along, from a German seller who seemed to have about ten unplayed copies. God only knows where he got them, but I love how stuff like this happens from time to time.

It's kinda funny how I avoided this record for over 20 years, but when I finally listened to it for the first time, I loved it. Shame I missed out on this one and I also never saw the band play live, which I'm sure would have been a cool experience.

No comments: