Wednesday 22 April 2020

Antagonize

Today's post features another of my favourite releases from last year, 2019, which I have only just received the physical vinyl for. The band is Antagonize and the record is titled 'Slip Death', and was released by Triple B Records last year. I'm not sure if this is a 12" EP or an LP, as it has 8 songs and is over in 14 minutes, but maybe those are just old fashioned concepts anyway in the modern era.

Antagonize features Aaron Bedard on vocals (formerly of Bane) and has Sam Yarmuth (owner of Triple B Records) on bass, plus some other people I don't know anything about. It kinda sounds similar to Bane due to Bedard's vocals, but other than that, the songs are short and heavy. When I spoke to Bedard about it a couple of years ago, he thought that the rest of the band members were into Integrity and that was the sound that they were going for. But it sounds nothing like Integrity to me. But whatever your opinion on that comparison, Antagonize is a really great hardcore band. The songs are short, loud and hard. And no matter how many times I listen to this, I just can't get bored of it.

Well, when the pre-orders launched, even though I knew that all copies were pressed on the euro vinyl that I'm not a fan of and the colours sounded ugly, I still ordered all three colours. The red & white swirl is /300 copies.

The rarest colour is the green with black splatter and it's /200.

The most common colour is the least offensive, being the red vinyl /500. The other colours are sold out, but this one is still available.

Even though Antagonize are on Triple B, they do seem to have flown under the radar more than most bands on the label. There seems to have been less buzz about them that other bands, and this record has not seen a repress, which is strange for any Triple B release. So I'm totally unsure about what kids think of this band. But it certainly feels like they should be getting more attention.

My only other hope with this is that someone puts out the demo on vinyl at some point. Those are some damn good songs, and it doesn't seem right that it only exists on cassette. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I love the look of that red/white swirl. Great record that I really need to listen to more often.

Willem RWHAF said...

I checked out the band on Spotify. I can follow the comparison to Integrity only briefly, in the vocals where he stretches some words when singing. But mostly agree with your arguments that it's pretty far from that. It's too contemporary cute to be like that. I mostly like those demo tracks.