Tuesday 23 April 2019

Can't Have Nice Things

Another 2018 release that I picked up late was the debut LP by Shiners Club, 'Cant Have Nice Things'. If you're unfamiliar, this is Dan O'Mahoney's latest band. Shiners Club also features John Coyle (from Outspoken & Kill The Messenger) and some other dudes who have been in Speak 714 & Mean Season. So basically, some CA dudes with a pretty good resume. But I only really bought it for the Dan O factor if I'm honest, as I've always been a fan of his bands, and this latest one is no exception.

Shiners Club don't really sound like any of Dan's previous bands, although from the bands mentioned above I'd say that they probably sound closest to Kill The Messenger. The songs are kinda loud and messy, and at first I wasn't sure that I liked it. But after a couple of spins one of the songs got stuck in my head, and then the rest started to follow. Pretty soon it was my go to album of choice for my gym sessions.

I'm not so sure where I'd place this on my 2018 best of list if I had to make one, but it would definitely feature. If you haven't given it a chance then I'd recommend trying to check it out if possible. The band doesn't have a bandcamp page, but the album is up on the label's page HERE. You're welcome.

I have to say, it's nice to see Indecision Records putting out new records again, and as ever they're putting out some interesting stuff. This one comes on two colours of vinyl - the 'clear smoke' that I picked up, and also clear red. Both are out of 500 copies.

No comments: