Thursday 25 April 2019

Wake The Sleeping Dragon

So I was saying in my last post about how it's easy to gain and lose interest over time with some bands that have been around for a few years. Here's a perfect example - Sick Of It All. Over the years the pattern seems to be that I get interested in every other record that they put out. The last one I bought was the 'Based On A True Story' LP back in 2010. The last album (2014's 'Last Act Of Defiance') I vaguely remember seeing come out and having zero interest in. But as soon as I saw the 2018 release 'Wake The Sleeping Dragon' I instantly wanted it. Weird huh?

Well, in all honesty I think it is to do with the (debateably) old fashioned concept of artwork. I saw the artwork and it grabbed me and made me interested in the record. And then I saw the Fat Wreck colour vinyl pressing and I thought that it looked like a cool colour. So then I had two reasons to want it, which inevitably led to me picking on up.

I have no idea how many of this colour version were made. I think I may have seen someone say there are 400 or 500, but I may be imagining that. But the Fat Wreck pressing is in theory for US customers only. Century Media handled the european market with at least 4 different vinyl colour options, none of which looked half as interesting as this one.

So once I had this thing I was obviously going to listen to it. And yup, I've enjoyed it. To keep up to date there's even a song about people posting pictures of themselves online ('self important shithead'), which quite possibly reminds me of some of the people that I stupidly follow on instagram. Ha! Anyway, overall it's cool to see this band are still going strong and can still grab my attention, even if it is only ever 8 years or so.

1 comment:

Willem RWHAF said...

Usually black with colored splatter doesn't work out very well. The colored splatter gets absorbed in the black. But with this record it works out very well!