Sunday 21 April 2019

Enemy Of Silence

Another of my favourite releases from 2018 was this:

Remission are a band from Chile in South America. React! Records put out their 'Winds Of Promise' 7" way back in 2010. I enjoyed it at the time, but until last Summer it had pretty much been completely forgotten. I guess I had assumed that they had broken up. But last year React! released their second album, 'Enemy Of Silence'. I wanted it, but it seemed to sell out super quick. Or rather, it became unavailable in the label's store. It was some months before it re-appeared, but when it did I made sure to grab one of the white vinyl copies (/150) quick smart.

I actually saw this band play in Summer 2018 in Washington, DC. They were playing the first night that we were in town, and in the absence of anything else to do, we went to see them play. It was a last minute show, and we were tired, and there weren't many people there, but Remission were REALLY good. It was one of those shows where it just made me want to listen to them more.

Also, while I'm on the subject of this record, the cover really does remind me of the old One Step Ahead 12" on Nemesis Records:

Not only does the cover art look very similar, but the names of the records are also very similar. So is this a coincidence, or is the band paying homage to this band & record? I'm not sure. But One Step Ahead also released a 7" called 'Remission', so it seems quite possible that this little known band from 1990 had a pretty big influence on these Chilean hardcore kids.

So I did think I'd be happy to buy just one copy of this one, until they put pictures up of a special version on their instagram. It would seem that Nemesis Records must have had a pretty influential on these kids, as they made up this a limited Reason To Believe rip off version. So of course I decided that I needed one of those too.

No comments: