Monday 29 April 2019

Touch Me I'm Sick

If you've read this blog previously you'll probably know that I have a bit of a thing for some of the earlier Sub Pop releases. Sub Pop is (or at least, was) pretty much THE most collectible label ever, with multiple colours pressed of a lot of releases, and a bunch of transitions and weird variations, many of which are still unconfirmed or rumoured to this day. It's fun, but if you were to get seriously involved then it could become a full time job... although you'd probably need three full time jobs to pay for it all.

Anyway, I recently connected with a Sub Pop collector in the UK who was selling some stuff. So I picked up a few bits. I'm not a full blown Sub Pop collector, but I dabble now and again. This time around I picked up some Mudhoney 7"s. Or rather, several versions of one particular Mudhoney 7"...

The band's first official release, way back in 1988, was the 'Touch Me I'm Sick / Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More' 7". I used to own a second press copy on a dirty clear blue vinyl way back in 1992, which I sold about 4 or 5 years later. Over the years I had decided that I wanted to own a brown vinyl first press copy, but I've not managed to find one for a price I wanted to pay. So when I got the chance to re-buy the dirty clear blue pressing, I got a bit nostalgic and decided that it would be kinda cool to own it again.

It's not easy to see in the photo, but in the top left corner of the back cover it says 'Second Edition'.

Well, after a couple of emails I had decided and agreed to buy a complete second pressing colour vinyl set in one go. The price seemed fair, and the colours looked pretty cool together. So I bought 8 copies all at one go.

And after all that I still don't own a first press copy. Maybe one day.

If you were remotely interested in the full pressing info for this record, a better place to look would be on John Pette's site.

2 comments:

Alexander said...

Saw your post on IG but did not realize that you bought the set in one go. Nice one. Makes me want to look out for more Mudhoney 45s, too. Bought the green "You're Gone" the other day. Ok for a (new) start.

mcs said...

The green 'You're Gone' is a rare one for sure. Nice work!