Tuesday 5 March 2024

We Got The Beat

So here's a thing - I have never been remotely interested in Poison Idea. I'm not exactly sure why. I mean, there are probably a number of reasons. The fact that they just looked like a bunch of fat old dudes didn't help, neither did the fact that they have a recrd titled 'Record Collectors Are Pretentious Assholes'. Other than that, there was never really anything that drew me in. However, when I made a conscious decision to start picking up more old Sub Pop 7"s recently, the Poison Idea 7" was pretty high up on my want list, as I wanted to pick up the releases that were by bigger, more established bands who were not really Sub Pop acts as such.

Sub Pop 7"s were pressed in relatively high numbers in the late 80s and early 90s, and there are a lot of copies that made it out of the States, so I was able to snag a copy of this from within the UK. This 7" was released in 1990 and there were 4,500 copies pressed, with 3,000 of those beng on this mint green vinyl. The rarer version is on black vinyl, but I'd rather have the colour version because that's just how I roll.

I mainly wanted this one for the Sub Pop collection, but I was actually pleasantly surprised as to how good this is. Two really good songs on here, the second of which keeps getting stuck in my head. Hell, maybe I'll even check out more of their songs at some point.

No comments: