Monday 25 March 2024

Beat Your Heart Out

Another Sub Pop 7" that I picked up, and without doubt this is a record that I would not have bothered with had it not been for my 2024 quest to pick up most of the label's early catalogue.

This 7" by The Muffs came out as Sub Pop 157 in July 1992. It came on two colours of vinyl (pink and green), and I plumped for the green solely because I found one for sale in the UK.

The Muffs were a band from Southern California who started in the early 90s and kept going (with a few years gap) until 2019, when lead singer and only consistent member, Kim Shattuck, sadly passed away. Aside from The Muffs, she was also best known for replacing Kim Deal as bass player in The Pixies, until she was fired after her first tour. Apparently she stage dived whilst playing and the band didn't like it.

This sounds like an alternative rock/punk band. The first sound reminds me a lot of L7. I read that this band had a song featured in the movie 'Clueless' and no doubtthis helped to jetison them to a semi popular level. I would say that I am half tempted to check out more of their output. I mean, these songs are ok, but they haven't hit me quite like some of the other 7"s have so far.

No comments: