Sunday 17 March 2024

No Pain

Another recently acquired Sub Pop release, and this is one that I have seen many times over the years, often in the used section of record stores, and usually priced at around $3 or so. I have never previously had any inclination to so much as look at this record, mainly because it has a dog on the front cover, and I have never really been a fan of dogs. But in my recent quest to pick up a bunch of Sub Pop 7"s, I figured I would grab it and give it a go.

This 7" was released as Sub Pop 169 in September 1992. It was pressed on both blue and pick vinyl. Neither copy is overly rare, and neither are any of them sought after by anyone. I bought both from other sellers that I was buying more cheap Sub Pop 7"s from.

I bought the blue one first and liked it so then grabbed the pink from another seller a week or so later.

I wasn't expecting too much of this 7", mainly just because I know that nobody cares about it, and I assumed that this was because it was not good. But I gave it a chance, and within seconds I was really into it. It's a slightly weird one, as the first song is very different to the second, so I'm not overly sure which is the more typical of this band. The first song is super slow and downbeat, whereas the second is a more poppy number, which reminds me of early 90s British indie bands. But each song is really interesting and I keep going back to it. Cheap 7"s are the best.

No comments: