Tuesday 19 March 2024

Dickless

I have bought so many Sub Pop 7"s in the last few weeks that it's crazy. And without a doubt today's is in the top 3 so far...

This 7" is by a band called Dickless. They were made up of 4 girls, hence the name. This 7" was released as Sub Pop 59 in May of 1990. In terms of 7" releases, this one came right after the L7 7" and right before the Mudhoney 'You're Gone' 7", and it sounds vaguely like a blend of the two bands. The distorted, fuzzed out guitars of Mudhoney but with a female vocal... although the vocal is way more growled than L7 ever were.

All you get on this record is two songs. The first is titled 'I'm A Man' and is a Bo Diddly cover, not that you would know it from the way it sounds. The second is their own. Both are over in 5 minutes.

Another thing that is interesting about this 7" is that it comes with an insert and a sticker. It's extremely rare for Sub Pop 7"s to have been issued with any kind of insert. I'm not sure why this one had one when most others do not, but I'm happy that this copy I bought still had both the insert and sticker present.

Seriously, this band is so good. Without doubt one of the best female vocals I have ever heard on a hardcore/punk record. OK, so I'm 34 years late, but I need more of this. Reading up on this band all these years later, it seems that they only recorded 6 or 7 songs in total, spread across two 7"s and a couple of compilations. There was apparently going to be an anthology record put out at some point but it never happened. Such a shame.

No comments: