Sunday 10 March 2024

Conjure Me

Another addition to my Sub Pop 7" collection, and this is one that I used to own and then sold probably in the mid 90s.

'Conjure Me' was the 3rd Afghan Whigs 7" released by Sub Pop, and came out in 1992. I remember buying a copy of this probably in 1992 or 1993, and at the time I liked the songs but not the glossy, cover. Something about it felt mass produced compared to the older Sub Pop releases, which were folded paper sleeves. I know that none of these things should really matter, but I always noticed details and thought a lot about them. Anyway, I can't actually remember what colour I used to have, but I know that it wasn't either of the two that I just picked up.

This dirty green marble colour looks great. It reminds me of the green vinyl Gorilla Biscuits 7", although it costs about 2% of the price.

I also picked up a clear vinyl copy too, because clear is the best colour.

I always loved the first Afghan Whigs LP, but for some reason I sold the second LP years ago. Probably because it had a bad cover and was black vinyl only. This 7" has one song from that LP and one exclusive song. But vinyl colours and glossy sleeves aside, the songs here are great. It also prompted me to download the second LP again and it's so good. Man, this trip back to the early 90s is such a fun ride.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I've never heard this band, but now I'm going to have to check them out.