Wednesday 7 June 2023

Some Indecision 7"s

Last year I spent a few days staying with Dave who runs Indecision Records, and I ended up bringing home a bunch of his releases that I had missed out on over the past few years. At somr point I just took my eye off of Indecision and stopped paying attention. But chatting to Dave and hearing lots of his stories, I was keen to check out smoe of the bands and records that I had missed or ignored, and I discovered some great music as a result. So in recent times I have ended up buying a few more Indecision releases because I was confident that they would be good. I figured it would be easiest to just post them up in one post, so there goes...

Putting them up in alphabetical order, first up is a 7" by a band called Bayonet. This one was released in 2018 and features possibly the worst cover for a record that I have ever seen.

It's such a shame that the cover looks so awful, because the record itself is great. The band are from San Diego and sound like they would have fitted in well with the Boston scene circa 2001. Heck, I'm tempted to fold the cover inside out and just leave this as the cover that I see from this point forward:

Next up is the Count Me Out '110 demo' 7". This one was made for the band's reunion show back in 2018, and features early demo versions of 3 songs from the '110' LP. This is exactly the kind of record that does not need to exist at all, but it's still kind of a cool one to own because it looks nice.

Next up, a 7" by a band called Rats In The Wall titled 'Warbound'. This one features Eva from Power Alone & No Plan on vocals, and I would say musically it sits somewhere between the two. This is a really good little 7". A bit more towards the 'punk' end of the spectrum I would say.

The next 7" is a little bit less like the rest. This is a 7" by a dude called Boz Boorer. He's probably best known as Morrissey's guitarist for the last 30 years or so, but is also a musician in his own right, having cranked about 8 or 9 albums of his own. This 7" was released back in 2014 for record store day (remember that?) and features two songs that are rockabilly. Kinda reminds me of the early 90s when Victory had Hifi & The Roadburners, and Sub Pop had Reverand Horton Heat.

And finally, the Ursula 'Meet Is Murder' 7". This one was released in 2018. This might just be my favourite of the lot. At first I wasn't overly excited by it, but there is a lot going on here musically. At times it reminds me a little of Botch, but it by no means sounds like Botch. Clearly that makes no sense, but it might do if you listened to it.

There are still more Indecision releases that I haven't heard and at this rate it feels it could me until the rest of time to get around to checking them all out. But interestingly, most of them are pretty damn good. I just wish I hadn't lost touch with the label in the first place and kept up with it for the last ten years or so, although fortunately most of the releases are relatively easy to find and not expensive, which makes a nice change.

No comments: