Tuesday 27 June 2023

Society Exists

A couple of weeks ago I came home from a busy day at work and sat down to catch up on the day's internet activity. Within minutes it became apparent that I had missed out on a newly released High Vis record. I saw a couple of posts from people saying that they managed to get one, and a couple of posts from people saying that they missed out. And there I was with absolutely no idea it was even coming out at all. Damnit. I felt pretty bummed. And then within an hour a friend texted me to tell me he had one for me if I wanted it. Incredible. People never cease to amaze me.

'Society Exists / Stationhouse Demos' is a 4 song 12" which compiles a couple of older songs with a couple of demo recordings. There were only 200 copies pressed, all on white vinyl, and all hand numbered on both the inner paper sleeve and also on the back cover. It was released by Farewell Records, the label that released the band's first two 7"s, that I never quite got around to ordering because I kept thinking I would buy them next week until they had sold out.

I really like the simple and basic design for this thing. EVerything is so minimal. It looks kinda minimal and DIY, which I think seems perfect given the songs on here. A little bit rough around the edges and not as polished as the 'Blending' LP.

Of the 4 songs on here, the first two were previously released as a digital only thing. The songs were recorded during covid, but don't feature all members of the band. To me who knows fuck all, they just sound slightly more basic then 'Blending', and also like they predate the 'No Sense, No Feeling'... although they don't. The second two songs are from the 'Blending' era. One is an earlier recording of one of the songs from that record, and another is a song that didn't quite make the cut. But all 4 of these songs are definitely High Vis, there is no mistaking.

FOr me, 3 of these songs are 'new' so I'm loving this. And I'm feeling very lucky to have a copy at all. I'm a little surprised that only 200 were made given how popular this band is right now, but at least I don't have to stress out too much about trying to find one. Kinda funny though that even though it's already been out for a couple of weeks, and it sold out in 2 minutes flat, there are currently only 47 people on discogs who want this. Maybe it came and went so fast that a lot of people still have no idea it exists?

No comments: