Wednesday 21 June 2023

Sell It For What It's Worth...

Even though I am definitely a 90s hardcore kid by background, I was never really interested in Chokehold. On paper I should have been all over them, but for some reason I was never bothered. I think it stems back to some point in the 90s where I either bought something or agreed a trade on something, and instead of what I thought I was getting, some dipshit sent me a Chokehold LP. It was the 'Prison Of Hope' LP on clear & red split vinyl, which had no labels on it and came in a clear plastic sleeve. It kinda looked like shit and I was annoyedat having been sent it, so sent it back. And that was that. From that point on I associated Chokehold with an ugly record that I didn't want. So here I am probably about 27 or 28 years later picking up two copies of the same Chokehold 7".

The 'Tooth & Nail' 7" was put out by Jawk Records in 1997. I've seen pictures of it over the years, and know that there are several different colours out there. So when I found two copies in a shop for pretty cheap, I figured it was the right time to dip my toe into the Chokehold pool, so to speak.

These two copies I picked up are at the more common end of the spectrum. Clear vinyl with no labels reminds me of the record I sent back in the 90s, and appears to be out of 200 copies. The orange vinyl, which I think looks nicer, is the most common colour there is, out of 600 copies.

So of course after picking this up I made sure to listen to it, and it is indeed a great 7"> I think I'm gonna have to check out more CHokehold stuff, and I feel a bit silly for ignoring them for so long. Better late than never though, huh?

1 comment:

geoff said...

one of my favorite records is the pink/orange version of this. it was so hard to track down in the late 90s seeing there was only 50 of them floating around. the music is ok but the hunt for it, with the ugly color vinyl made it magical. the color combination is so ugly that it looks incredible. this is a great record to collect.