Friday 17 December 2021

I'm Still Fucking Pissed

I was always into the No Reply 7". It came out on Mankind Records way back in 1999, and aside from the well known split 7" with Life's Halt, it was the band's only release. But sometimes this is how it is with hardcore bands and records. A relatively small band with little output can just land with you, depending on so many different factors. I don't really remember exactly what it was that made me like this one more than other records of the time, but maybe it was just that particular time. But anyway, it's been a long time since I've given it much thought. But I got a reminder of it back in 2018 when I met the drummer whilst visiting RevHQ, and not long after that someone else was selling their collection, so I picked up a few copies as they were super cheap. And recently they were finally delivered.

First up is a test press that comes in a regular sleeve. It also has a pair of labels included.

Next, a rejected test press. It has the word 'reject' written on both the front cover and the paper dust sleeve.

This next copy is a regular black vinyl copy but with one blank label. It's basically just a minor hiccup in the pressing.

The 4th copy is a legitimate 'variant' (a word which most people use incorrectly) of the first press - a blue / black mix copy. The first press limited colour was clear blue vinyl, so this is a cool 'not supposed to exist' copy.

This one looks much better when held up to the light. So I did that and then managed to crop the photo to remove the crappy background. Looks pretty cool huh?

The 5th and final version is a similar variant of the second pressing. The second press was clear red vinyl and black vinyl, and similar to the last one, this a mix of the two. This one is much darker than the blue / black mix copy though, and looks pretty much black unless held up to a strong light source. Not even natural daylight is enough to show this one's true colour. I had to hold this one up to a bright light to get a decent photo.

I have to say it, but I really do think that this 7" holds up. I actually sat and read the lyric sheet for the first time in probably 20 years, and I love how they give an explanation to what each song means. The written piece explaining the first song, 'I'm Still Fucking Pissed' still seems pretty apt to me too, but maybe that's partly just because I never change, as is evident by the fact I'm still buying the same records in 2021 as I did in 1999.

1 comment:

Willem RWHAF said...

cool trick with the light and the crop Marcus! looks awesome...