Tuesday 21 December 2021

You Knew I Was Poison

Fall Silent released a new album this year completely out of the blue on Revelation, and I only just got around to picking up a vinyl copy, despite having spent the last three months or so listening to it 'digitally'. The band got back together and put out a 7" called 'Cart Return' back in 2017, and then things have been silent until this year, when this new full length appeared on the scene without too much fanfare.

I first picked up on this band back in 1997 when Moo Cow Records put out a 7" by them which was really good, titled 'Nineteenhundredninetyseven'. That put them firmly on my radar. I enjoyed the full length they put out in 1999, but then after that even though they got signed by Revelation, I pretty much ignored them. The reason was simply because their Rev releases were put out on CD only for some reason, and I never really had time (or rather money) for CDs. There were always too many records to buy.

So anyway, the band have obviously gotten better at playing their instruments over time, and this LP sounds so far ahead of what they were doing 20 years ago. This is a proper, full on metal album as far as I am concerned. It's hard and heavy and relentless and has proved itself to be one of this year's gym soundtracks for me.

As for the vinyl, there were 3 different colours made. The rarest is the white with black splatter, which is out of only 100 copies.

Then there was also a red with black splatter which was made for independent record stores.

There was also a clear red vinyl version too, but I don't have one of those.

Interestingly, I realised something with this release. That despite me saying how much I hate splatter vinyl, I actually like these. I think the reason is that these were made at a US plant, and there are several aspects of the vinyl that just feels higher quality than the vinyl from the Euro plant. So I can now clarify that I only really hate the splatter vinyl from the plant that I hate.

No comments: