Thursday 19 November 2020

Secret People

Some records just stick in your brain for some reason. When I stumbled across a clear vinyl Secret People 7" on eBay a few weeks ago, I knew instantly that I wanted to buy it, because somewhere in the deptsh of my brain I remembered seeing the cover on some blog years ago and thinking it looked kinda cool.

It probably sounds dumb, but I thought that this cover with the various colourful masks looked rad and a really interesting idea, but for whatever reason it took me nine years to pick one up. I was pretty happy to get one of the 150 clear vinyl copies, and stoked that this was another 2020 lockdown bargain. I think the postage may have cost more than the record.

The eBay listing said that this band contained members of other well known bands, but they were secret, hence the name of the band. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it sure sounds good.

I actually have a split 7" with this band on that I was sent back in 2013. I have zero memory of it, although at the time the other band were more of a point of interest for me. Well, I have listened to this quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, and it's really good. It reminds me of one of the best current hardcore bands (that I have bothered to listen to), Restraining Order. Even though I'm listening to this years after it came out, I'm kinda bummed the band didn't stick around longer and put out more material, because this is great.

As I said before, picking up bargain records is nearly as satisfying as picking up super rare, expensive ones sometimes.

No comments: