Tuesday 17 November 2020

Oakland Intervention

About a month or so ago, I was talking with some old blogger friends about some guilty pleasures that we had been listening to lately, and eventually the conversation turned to newer hardcore bands. When asked to name any relatively new hardcore band that gets us excited like the good old days, it was only Mike who really had anything positive to say. For what it's worth, my view is that there are some good bands out there and there are some great records, but that no matter how good a band may be, it's just not possible to get as excited to the same extent as when we were 20-30 years younger. But just because it has been a long time since I have felt that a band or record could actually change my life, I still love listening to new music.

Well anyway, a few weeks before that conversation I had decided to check out a band called Ex-Youth for some reason or other, and I found that I kept going back to the 7" again and again. This is a great example of a hardcore 7", with 6 songs that are blasted through in about 8 minutes.

I was going to grab a purple copy but I was beaten to it by a rival, so instead I picked up a white vinyl copy (/150) from within the UK.

This 7" actually came out a couple of years ago, but I'm still considering it 'new' because all they have out is this 7". The band has the guitarist of Ceremony on vocals, and I have to say that he does a great job. The songs are full of anger and rage, and it totally reminds me of something that could have come out on Bridge 9 in 2001.

Who says there are no good newer hardcore bands?

2 comments:

Mike said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this. The white vinyl looks pretty cool too I have to say.

Ralf said...

I love that 7“. But you‘re right, it‘s very rare that I get truly excited about a new record these days.