Thursday 27 August 2020

Pissed Happy Children

I'd never listened to Pissed Happy Children (PHC) until about a month ago. I guess they were before my time and not on a 'big' label and I never really knew anything about them other than they had some split with Infest. Well, coincidences happen, and I checked them out for the first time about a month or so ago because some dude on instagram posted a picture of one of their records. He was in the band and often posts shirts or stuff from his old bands. So I saw this photo and decided to check them out, and I thought it was interesting. Definitely not what I was expecting. And then the next day I saw a 7" for sale on eBay for pretty cheap, which I bid on and won. I was partly attracted by the nice purple colour vinyl.

When it arrived I messaged the dude on instagram and asked if it was supposed to have an insert as my copy very much did not have one. Sadly he confirmed that all copies had an insert, which was bad news for me. But then there was good news because he told me that apparently there are very few purple vinyl copies out there. Apparently less than 40. So that helped cheer me up again.

Well, after this I had a quick look on discogs to see if there were any other cheap copies for sale, and found another copy for a cheap price, also within the UK. So I decided to buy that too. This one was on grey vinyl, which isn't quite as rare, but on the positive side came with the insert.

This 7" is on New Beginning Records, the same label that released the Underdog 7", Crippled Youth 7" and Half Off 7" & LP. So kinda crazy I never really picked up on this one before. I'm not good at describing bands, but it's kinda slow, plodding, and vicious sounding and I'm into it. Next up I need to seek out the LP for a reasonable price I think.

I've said it before, but this is what is so rad about hardcore - finding bands and records from 30 years ago you've never really given a chance before and getting stoked on them. Plus it seems slightly more interesting than buying the latest splatter vinyl release from all the current labels.

No comments: