Monday 24 August 2020

Hypocrite

I have tried over the past few years to reduce the number of reissues and represses that I buy but, as with most things in life, there are always exceptions. I was in Boston at the end of last year, and in Newbury Comics I had found a small stack of records I wanted to buy... but then, one by one, I put most of them back into the racks as I didn't really want to spend the money that day. One of them was a green vinyl repress of the 'Tied Down' LP by Negative Approach, and I put it back on the basis that it was a repress that I could probably live without... but then, as time has gone on, I have continually seen pictures of it popping up and found myself wishing that I had bought it after all. So last week I put that right.

As stupid as it sounds, one of the things that attracted me to this was the particular shade of green vinyl. It's a paler green that most clear greens. Plus, it looks cool because of the amount of dead wax in the centre. In both of these ways it reminds me of the original blue vinyl pressing of the Youth Of Today 'Break Down The Walls' LP. It's perfectly possible that if this was on a much darker shade of green then I would not have thought it looked so cool and maybe not bought it. I don't know. But If nothing else, this just proves that sometimes I can want to own a record for the stupidest of reasons. But we all knew that already.

1 comment:

Ralf said...

I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve wanted to pick up a copy for a long time, but still haven’t gotten around to it. Might have to put that right sooner than later.